Looking for cupcake to give out on St. Patrick’s Day, I have a quick how to make St. Patrick’s Day Rainbow Cupcakes for you. They are actually pretty easy to make, you might just surprise yourself.
What you will need:
- Box of Cake Mix (Of’course you can make them from scratch, if you know how! I’m not that good yet!)
- Food Coloring
- Air heads Extremes Rainbow Candy
- Candy Rolos
The first thing I did was bake the cupcakes. This is simple…just follow the instruction on the cake mix box. Then, we made the frosting, while the cupcakes were baking. I like to use a recipe that my mother in law gave me; it’s easy to work with and firms up nicely.
- 4 cup powder sugar
- 1 cup butter or shorting
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 to 4 Tbsp. milk (add one Tbsp. at a time, to determine desired stiffness)
- Food coloring
- Place all ingredients in mixing bowl.
- Beat in a mixer for about 10 minutes! (This helps stiffen the frosting.)
- Frosting is now ready for food coloring.
- Separate into several bowls, if you want multiple frosting colors.
- Add food coloring one drop at a time until you reach desired color, more drops deeper the color.
We started by adding green frosting to the top of the cupcake. Then, we added a small amount of white to the edges to look like clouds. I found the easiest way create the clouds was to use a piping bag! (If you do not have a piping bag you can put the frosting in a plastic bag and cut off a corner.) Now, let the frosting set for a short while so it will harden a little.
Then, we took the air heads extremes and cut them into 4″ strips to create the rainbow arches for the cupcakes.
Once, you have the strips cut add one end of the air head extreme to one of the white clouds and then arch over to the other white cloud, you now have your Rainbow.
Now, place a Candy Rolo near the end of one side of the rainbow, the gold wrapper on the Candy Rolo is perfect as a pot of gold and adds the finishing touch to the cupcake!
Before we handed the cupcakes out to our friends, we placed them in the small clear plastic cup, with a festive tie for convenient travel. For a step by step how to, on the packaging, check out my post Cupcakes to Go!
These St. Patrick’s Day Rainbow Cupcakes will be a big hit at a party or when handed out to your family and friends.
Pin me, Like me, and Share me.