My daughter has been learning about Dinosaurs all week in her Preschool Class. She brought home quite a few pictures of different Dinosaurs using all different types of media such as; paints, toothpicks, q-tips and crayons. They have learned songs and so many fun things. I have to say her favorite as well as mine have to be the Dinosaur Bones and Fossils that she brought home.
Becca teacher made a varied of bones and fossils that she hide in the play area for the children to find. Each child came home with two or three bones and/or fossils. Becca was lucky enough to get two bones and a fossil. The kids are still finding the hidden bones weeks later. The excitement when one of the bones or fossils is found is amazing.
I started examining the bones and fossil to see what they were made of and they look alike Christmas dough ornaments that I do this kids at Christmas. I never thought of using the dough to make other items, what a great idea!
This recipe is only a few ingredients and easy to make:
- 2 cup of All Purposed Flours
- 1 cup of Salt
- 3/4 to 1 cup of Water
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees
- Blend in a mixer the Flour and Salt
- Slowly add water until the dough forms a ball
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface to create your fossil, you can use cookie cutters or small plastic dinosaurs and press into dough to make an impression. Use your hands to sculpt bones.
- Place on a cookie sheet. For the best results bake bones and fossils of the same thickness together.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until dough is a white or light tan color.
Here is an example of the Dinosaur Fossil.
Here is an example of some Dinosaur bones.
I just love this idea; it would be great for a little boy’s party or even decoration for Halloween.
Like me, Pin me, Share me